The holidays are a time of jolliness and cheer—but sometimes the excitement of the season can lead to some carelessness with our pets’ safety.
It’s important to be wary of holiday pet hazards that can danger or harm your furry friend.
By staying mindful of your pet’s surroundings and a little extra carefulness, you can ensure a safe environment and lots of fun, happy memories this holiday season.
Here are some potential hazards to keep in mind:
This one seems like a no-brainer—it’s not news that chocolate can be deadly to your pet if consumed in a large amount.
However, with Christmas cookies lying around and gifts being opened, chocolate treats can be set aside without thinking.
Keep an eye out and be sure chocolate is stored in closed containers or out of your pet’s reach.
Small pieces of wrapping
Pieces of wrapping paper, ribbons, and bows can look like toys to your pets. However, these scraps can get lodged in their throats and impair their breathing. In addition, if consumed, these materials can wreak havoc on their digestive system.
Broken ornaments can be really dangerous, because the shards can get lodged in your pet’s paws. Be sure to check out your decorations daily to be sure there aren’t broken ornaments or glass on the floor.
With holiday decorations come lots of lights and electrical cords! Unfortunately, our beloved pets don’t always know what’s a chew toy and what’s not. Be sure to cover loose cords with protective tape.
Have a fun and safe holiday season!
We’d love to see your pet dressed up in his or her holiday finest on our Facebook page.